View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 11:53 AM
JetJock16
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: SkyWest Capt.

Originally Posted by ExperimentalAB View Post
Hayduke...very well said. ALPA may not have my vote this time around, but if it does go through we all have to stick together and make sure we vote ONLY the best in. We can't sacrifice the great mgmt-pilot relationship we have now just for the sake of union representation.
I pose the question, what if "the great mgmt-pilot relationship we have now" is just an outstanding job by Mgmnt at keeping up the smoke and mirrors. Usually there are little “Tell-Tell” signs that a shift has begun and without taking action to protect what we have the "next time around" will be after SKW has furloughed 400 pilots, taken 13% from us and change haft our policies in their favor. At that point we can vote in ALPA with the hopes of getting what we had back.

Just a question, we really don't know the answer. But if Mgmnt is who they say they are then a union shouldn't destroy our relationship. Should it? Just look at SWA as an example, they have an excellent Mgmnt/SWAPA relationship.

I'm not a huge ALPA supporter but I am trying to have a little foresight, trying to be proactive and not reactive. Good examples of why not to vote in a union here at SKW have happened to far in the past, not enough in the present. By the time we actually need ALPA; we'll most likely have new Mgmnt, set during new times in a new cycle of this industry. Yes, for now Chip is JA predecessor, but do we really now him or the next guy after him? We can’t even begin to guess what those circumstances will be but we can start the ground work to protect against the flip side. I really like SKW and I respect Mgmnt, I am not Anti-Mgmnt and I do believe they will do a great job in the future guiding this company into her next cycle; but that’s blind optimism.

Last edited by JetJock16; 09-25-2007 at 12:16 PM.