View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 12:34 PM
sargeanb
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: E170 CA
Default Debating becoming a regional lifer.

I've reached a crossroads in this career, one that many of us have reached at some point. I'm 36, and have been here at my regional of choice for 10 years, about 9K hrs. I've had my apps out to the majors for 3 years, and haven't heard a peep, I'm guessing due to a couple 121 check failures, and my unwillingness to attend "pay to play" job fairs. I'm happy to see a few majors have begun their own in-house job expos, and I hope that trend continues.

I've watched as captains I used to fly with, my colleagues and friends, and now FOs and former students got on at the majors, and I'm starting to wonder what's wrong with me. Be that as it may, I'm driving to work, living comfortably in the midwest, and have 15-16 days off a month. Republic has been a fairly stable place to work, even with the restructuring, and now our diversified ownership by the 3 legacies, Embraer, and others seems pretty stable to me, at least in the near term. I'm seriously debating giving up the major airline dream, and just staying here.

This is not a "woe is me" post. I know plenty are in the same boat, wondering if that call will ever come. I'm just curious...for those who have ended up staying at the regionals long term...any advice?