View Single Post
Old 05-25-2017, 03:10 AM
KC10 FATboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Legacy FO

While he attempts a very detailed examination of career earnings, the situation is much more complex as there are so many variables and paths to consider.

One thing he does not consider is a Retired Reserve retirement or an Actuve Duty retirement attained while in the Guard/Reserves. I know three people in my small reserve unit who recently received an active duty retirement while gaining seniority at the airline. Yuge!

More so, he automatically assumes a Guard/Reserve retirement starts at 60 years of age. On paper yes. However the reduced retirement option for those on active duty orders greater than 90 days reduces your retirement date. Everyone in my unit has had their retirement date reduced -- some of them as early as age 55. Mine is age 58 and I've been a slacker in the unit.

Another thing he can't model, you can use 1000 X pay rate to get a realistic airline salary. However he can't forecast windfalls. For example, last year through hard work and using the contract to my advantage, I nearly doubled my previous airline W2 and still made $30k in the reserve. That's not going to happen if you stay on active duty. There is no incentive for working harder in the military as it all pays the same.

In one year I paid off the house and put a nice chunk into mutual funds all while maxing out the 401k.

Get out now. Go to a Guard/Reserve unit near you and enjoy the best of both worlds.