View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 11:45 AM
tcco94
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: LAX ER

Originally Posted by yeahbutstill View Post
The CFI life at Transpac right now. You will work 10 hour days many times with 1 hour break others with half hour break only, I messaged my team leader recently about having a half hour break after working 8 hours straight and his reply to me was that we get 1 hour breaks as a "courtesy" this is on 10 hour work days so you can imagine how management feels about us CFI's.
Quite a shame I've heard some people having some worse experiences lately.

I would suggest not even going to your team leader or class manager for any of that stuff. I almost never went to them for anything unless I absolutely had to. Just end your missions 15 minutes earlier than the return time, go to dispatch with the can while they tie down, start computer paperwork immediately and you'll get your hour and then some.

If you get into the rhythm of how to save time at TransPac it will really add up. I use to do missions to CGZ, 3 approaches all to a missed back to DVT in under 1.5 hours usually. Sometimes Valley Rally and if they said no to the ILS, I just incomplete it but complete the full mission since you're allowed those 2 incompletes. Would ramp out at the exact 15 minutes early, and return everytime almost 30 mins early...sometimes 1 hour. Some instructors took their sweet time doing briefs, sweet time to tie town, sweet time to talk after. If you can figure out a time to do that stuff before you get back I would (obviously with the students who aren't weak and need some talking to). Hammer that stuff out and get out of that place as early as possible.

I mean literally the pre-brief before each flight is a joke. It's the same exact brief notes you were supposed to do 3 flights before and you do that for 3 months straight. You cannot brief about wake turbulence avoidance 30 mins twice a week for 3 months. Also, you do the valley rally almost 5 days in a row or CGZ approaches. There is only so much to talk about on those briefs, let alone what they even listen to.....

Don't know if you can still do any of that but nobody was telling me "you must remain in the aircraft longer" and if you're doing missions in less time than 1.7 your boss is always happy.