View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 01:37 PM
John Carr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by kme9418 View Post
For many, the job satisfaction with the military started declining a long time ago. I'm also surprised to learn that airline pilots don't really care about achieving anything nor do they get any job satisfaction.
Kind of true, but painting with a broad brush.

Live to work, OR work to live?

Almost 2 decades in the airlines now, and most of that was through the lowest/darkest the industry has seen. Times that could sour many of us in this silly little pursuit of flying planes for a living. Going through multiple displacements, downgrades, concessions, a Ch11/furlough/shutdown and starting over.

I like being an airline pilot, but I wouldn't say that airline pilots in general "need" it to feel satisfaction or achievement. Nor care about acheiving anything. That I made it here is enough for me. Al beit, it took way longer than it would have barring 9/11, age 65, 2008 recession, what have you.

Just speaking for myself, I get satisfaction out what this job provides for me OUTSIDE the job. Picking up a new hobby, having the time to spend with friends and family, learning a new skill/language, seeing places I wouldn't see otherwise, and the free transportation from happy hour to happy hour the job provides. All that time I spent IN airplanes trying to achieve this career has freed me up to spend as LITTLE time in airplanes to achieve other things.

There's a couple schools of thought;

"Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life", meh.....OR the one a wise old man taught me long ago;

"Keep you job separate from your passions and hobbies and you'll be happier".

I conform to the latter, and work to live.

Other's mileage may vary.....