View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 10:01 AM
jetjock_b777
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: C-152 left
Thumbs up

You are absolutely correct about Asian airlines hiring expatriates to fly their aircrafts rickair7777. Let me ask you one question. How many Asians fly in your country as airline pilots?

That, you see, is the whole problem! Lets take my country for example. There used to be more expats flying than there were locals in the NATIONAL AIRLINE!! The complain was that the output of pilots from within the country was too little. This statement had absolutely no truth at all in it! There were so many local qualified pilots, even ex-force pilots who were just sitting on their tails without a way of getting into the airline!!!

Luckily the story is changing now. They have weeded out most of the expats and are recruiting locals in a twice annual cadet pilot program and a JFO program. The question to be asked is how are the locals supposed to build the 1500 or 2000TT in the first place? Domestic aviation is a joke! There are two aircrafts. A Fokker27 and an Avro HS748. This makes up the "Two Domestic Airlines"!

As for being an instructor, we don't encourage a person with 200 or 300hrs TT to fly as an instructor. All our instructors are ex-airforce pilots or career instructors. My instructor was a retired airforce pilot about 65 yrs old, 20,000+ TT hrs with 37 type ratings including helos. Now I'm sure you will accept the fact that where flying is concerned we lack nothing!!

With all these advantages, it is sad to note that there are so many unemployed pilots in my country. If you get into an airline when you are 35 or 40, after completing the "required", how many years of productive service can you provide??!!!

If supposing each national airline provided a good cadet pilot program for locals only, then just think how much brighter this field could be!