Old 06-08-2017, 03:30 AM
whalesurfer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Default Boeing studies pilotless planes as it ...

[Moderators - this subject affects everyone but I had to choose a prefix? In "cargo" my choices were fdx or ups. In "major" section I had to select a specific airline.
Some subject affect us all but I didn't know how to select a generic thread?
Prefixes, while helpful, should be supplementary, not mandatory.
Just my opinion.
Feel free to move this thread to the appropriate section.]

______
Definitely not advocating a doom & gloom scenario BUT young aviators looking at this profession shouldn't bury their heads in the sand either..
______

Boeing studies pilotless planes as it ponders next jetliner

Boeing is looking ahead to a brave new world where jetliners fly without pilots and aims to test some of the technology next year, the world's biggest plane maker said in a briefing ahead of the Paris Airshow.

The idea may seem far-fetched but with self-flying drones available for less than $1,000, "the basic building blocks of the technology clearly are available," said Mike Sinnett, Boeing's vice president of product development.

Jetliners can already take off, cruise and land using their onboard flight computers and the number of pilots on a standard passenger plane has dropped to two from three over the years.

Sinnett, a pilot himself, plans to test the technology in a cockpit simulator this summer and "fly on an airplane next year some artificial intelligence that makes decisions that pilots would make," he said.

Boeing studies pilotless planes as it ponders next jetliner | Fox Business