View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 10:42 AM
saxman66
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: 767 Pilot

Originally Posted by pilot4545 View Post
Hi there,

I am in process of converting my license to an ATP. I don't know anyone down in the states so I'm looking for some guidance. I live on the West Coast of Canada with 2000TT. How does one get to the majors down in the states? Up here there are set paths through regionals that most people follow. Is it the same down there? Do certain regionals give you a better shot at the majors? Thanks for your advice.
I'm not sure what the visa requirements are, but I've flown with several Canadians in the recent past. Some regionals, such as PSA, Piedmont, and Envoy have flow through programs to American. They are wholly owned by American. That process takes a few years though. Endeavor has a guaranteed interview with Delta, but it's only that. An interview. I believe CommutAir and maybe ExpressJet has interview programs with United, but I'm not privy to those details either. Horizon has a program to move onto Alaska if you want to stay in the Pacific Northwest. Most of the other regionals are also hiring like gangbusters right now, and you can apply to the major airlines like anyone else when you meet the time requirements. Some regionals are better than others so do some research on the QOL/pay, etc.