View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 07:28 PM
beis77
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: 737 FO
Default Atp-ctp

Originally Posted by ArmyFW View Post
What if you are trying to bypass a regional? Will already having your ATP-CTP get the legacy airlines at least looking at you?
I just recently took the course and may have some useful info for you. As Otter mentioned, taking the ATP written is really the minimum, the ATP-CTP ground certificate won't get you looked at. For the legacies, Delta is the only major that doesn't require the full ATP certificate; they only require the written exam. The rest require the completed certificate (written exam and practical).

Here's the list posted by the FAA of vendors offering the ATP-CTP ground training: https://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/..._Providers.pdf

You'll note that Delta is the only major offering it. I took it with them, same cost as anywhere else ($4,995) and I highly recommend it. In addition to the training, they give you insight into their company which is invaluable, and by taking the training with them, they offer to score your resume upon completion (and publishing through airlineapps.com). They can't/won't guarantee anything beyond a look at your application, but still, that's more than you'll get anywhere else (especially valuable if you're thinking of applying with them).

In regards to using the GI Bill, you can use it, but honestly, depending on your circumstances, it may not be worth it. I believe the GI Bill only covers up to 50% of the cost (I'm not certain of this though). But regardless, definitely look at how many months of benefits it will eat up. If you have the post 911 GI Bill and are planning on using any of it for family members, then it may not be cost effective to use it on the ATP-CTP (you may end up losing value in the long run). You'd have to consult with an expert on this though (which I am not). If you'd like to hear more about the ATP-CTP course offered by Delta, send me a message offline; I'd by happy to let you know how it went for me.