View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 06:17 PM
2Planker
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: MD-11 F/O

Originally Posted by Cargo Pirate View Post
I don't believe union shop is the cause of the current apathy. Before the Age 60/LOA debacle I believe we suffered from apathy as well(disinterested instead of unhappy). We have never really enjoyed an engaged union membership here at FedEx. I am hoping with the current LEC elections we can go forward as a collective group and earn what is due this very profitable crewforce. The MEC is not the union, we are the union.
You are correct - the membership is the union, or at least, SHOULD be. However, our current MEC seems to have convieniently forgotten that they are supposed to represent the will of the membership. In case any of the current "elected" are reading this, this means that you are supposed to determine what the will or opinion of the majority of the crewforce is on an issue BEFORE you decide what the MEC stand will be. 11 out of 12 of the current stable of MEC officers seem to think that they have the right to decide what is best for the other 4800 pilots in a vacuum, without any membership input, and then try to threaten, coerce, and sell their decision, deriding and ridiculing any dissention.

I, for one, hope that the next round of elections finds new and responsible representation in the officers. It is also my hope that the apathetic percentage of our crewforce that refuses to read tentative CBA's or LOA's will wise up and realize that an uninformed decision hurts all of us.