Old 09-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Airsupport
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: CRJ

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
I will. Historically, ALPA has done great things for pilots. Their recent track record is not so good, especially at the regional level.

Do I feel obligated to pay dues out of gratitude for things that happened in 1938? Not really...I paid dues at mesa and look where that got me

This is where someone will scream in all caps that ALPA isn't responsible for doing anything for me, that it's all up to me and my local. Well if ALPA can't help, why give them 2%?

Alpa needs to come to the realization that the regionals need more adult supervision...too many kids whose only concern in life is how to get laid next weekend. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a reality. They need to create an outreach program to advise and educate entry-level and student pilots BEFORE they start applying to airlines. Figure out how to incentivize it with preferential interviews or hiring...a lot of other professions you join the union first, THEN you get a job.

Will ALPA benefit SKW right now? I don't know, but I'd be a lot more willing to try it out if it wasn't for my previous alpa spanking. I'm not too worried about whether alpa will do great things, I'd roll the dice on that...I'm more afraid they'll really screw the place up.

PS. I'm undecided, but my concerns are very legit and I'm going to keep bringing them up.
i understand peoples concerns,, we are alpa and going on 3 years of no contract, asa more than 5... but my point is that at least now (it appears) they are trying really hard to get back what was lost and make it better.. the bankruptcy legislation, the duty and rest requirements, loa's at nwa to get back some qol,,, they are trying to do something at a time when the airlines are still talking about 9-11.. and all these enhancements are for the entire industry.. they didn't try and pass legislation that said "alpa carriers only".. people that say they have no benifit or use for alpa have no idea what this industry would be like without them.