View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 09:11 PM
CAL EWR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Originally Posted by flybynuts View Post
CAL EWR,

I have yet to be on CAL's grounds but I thank you for your effort. Coming from the Marine Corps, it is my nature to do what is asked of me to help. If you are lazy and apathetic, then you have no right to complain. I thought it would be a no brainer and more would want to contribute to the upcoming planning stage to help CAL, management and all, decide how to advance the company for the next decade. Regardless, I think CAL's time has come for this and there chance to step up.
First of all Welcome to Continental! When is your class date or are you already in the training pipeline? Second of all and I say this to all new hires I who fly with me. I apologize for the terrible contract and the pathetic new hire wages and no insurance. We will change all of the above in Contract 08 but unfortunately you will be off probation by the time we have our new contract.

I don't know if you saw what I wrote to one of our pilots above in this thread. I just joined the Membership Committee last week. Like much of the CAL ALPA Committee's Membership has gone though a major overall. Our goal to be far more comprehensive than just plan membership info paying dues etc.

My proposal which has been accepted and given full support is to formalize what I try to do everyday I fly with a new pilot. I spend hours and hours educating them on CAL history, Union 101 and CAL 101. We have a tremendous amount of talent among our newest members. Quite frankly and to be blunt we have done a terrible job in the past with just about everything relating to our newest members. That is about to change for the better.

I learned along time ago from the guy that got me involved in the union (you may have heard of him as today he is the President of ALPA) that one of your most important jobs in the union should always be to find and train your replacement. We need 5000 pilots ready to stand shoulder to shoulder and if we can do that we have a really good shot at a great contract. My goal is to get many of the new hires actively engaged within various levels of our union after probation. The new hires are going to make up between 25 and 40 percent of the voting block for the ratification of contract 08.

Sorry for the diatribe, anyway to answer your question. We have a large block of pilots that need to be kicked, prodded or whatever to do things. Part of that is due to extremely bad, weak and incompetent previous union leadership at CAL. They are now gone and it's time for everyone to be 100% on board moving in the same direction. Give them some time I think in a few months (maybe six months) we will have this group very motivated.

If I can help you or any other future new hires from this forum please contact me and I will be glad to help in anyway I can. Hope to see you in one of the upcoming New hire/Probationary classes.

Fraternally,

Jayson Baron
CAL ALPA
Strike Preparedness Chairman
Membership Committee
[email protected]