View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 06:43 AM
aero550
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Citation II

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
I work for a large US corporation with an 8-plane Lear flight dept. and they use an internal job board (only). I watch that board for kicks sometimes since I am no where near qualified to apply, and a posting comes up for maybe a few days a season, and disappears as fast. I emailed the flight crews about hiring practices several times, and they say friendly things about wanting to meet me which is funny since I have 500TT and told them as much while mins are 2500TT for FO Learjet. Good luck getting on with them unless you know someone who pretty well likes you. They probably only run the internal post so they officially comply, while shoeing-in whomever it is they really want for the job. My guess is they are so choosy because it is a desirable job with lots of applicants, and feels more like a family than a flight dept.
Yeah, what FlyerJosh says. Also, sometimes a company will waive the published mins for an internal candidate. In fact, my parent company has Ops Manual procedures in place for bringing in a low time pilot as a first officer, but only if the candidate is already a company employee in another capacity.

Go talk to them. Let them give you a cup of coffee and show you the airplanes. Then, keep in touch and keep them updated on your progress. May not amount to anything now, but could pay huge dividends in a few years when you are closer to the mins. They'll have already met you and will more than likely remember. You'll have built equity for being persistent.

It could even backfire if you DON'T go see them now. When you get the mins and then show up, they may say "You've worked for us all this time, and you never came to visit when we invited you, and now you show up when we have an opening? Sorry, we already have someone else in mind."