Old 06-16-2017, 03:52 PM
samuelflores
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Once again thank you for replying. First of all, I know that I could use the money for flight school instead of for a bachelors. I know that a degree isn't necessary if I just want to fly. I know, however, that pilots are always one medical away from unemployment. I really want to go to college to get a degree as a backup, and also it looks better, I believe, when applying for a job than if you didn't. I chose Andrews because (and I know that you may not understand) of religious preference and friends. I am a seventh day adventist, and it surprised me that one of our schools had aviation related degrees. In fact, they aren't that bad at all. The degree which I initially was interested in at that school was Aviation Flight with maintenance. I thought that having flight school and maintenance as a degree is pretty cool. It is like killing two birds with one stone. That degree was a little more expensive, so I settled for the degree of solid maintenance. Once again, I want to do this so I have something else up my sleeve. It is true that initially I was interested in fixed wing. I wanted to either fly commercial cargo jets or fly corporate. My brother in law is a helicopter pilot, so I had a chance to taste that part of the pie and I really liked it. Yes I know I can't compare flying a cessna and a helicopter and judge all of fixed wing based on that, but I've thought about it and I really want to fly choppers. I also have heard that it is cheaper to get rated with fixed wing and add on chopper hours to get rated in that. I would like to do that also because I may change my mind some day. That is another reason why I liked that degree at Andrews, because I could get rated in fixed wing and graduate being able to fly and work in maintenance. I could then easily add on my rotary licenses and be dual rated. In answer to your comment, no, my ultimate goal is not to fly commercial airlines. I know that this may not be the forums for my thread, but I just saw how many successful pilots comment here and I wanted some help. Yes, I really think the military route is going to be a very good option, and like I said I am leaning more towards the Army Warrant officer side or the College student precommissioning initiative from the coast guard. Right now I would like to make an educated decision on which military route of the two is better for me. I also was wondering if it is harder to get dual rated in the military than if I tried to do just one. How exactly would I do that, let's say if I decided to become and Army Warrant Officer? Once again thank you for replying so quickly, and I will take all of your advice in to count. If any of you know anyone who has been through that CSPI program, I would greatly appreciate if I could get in touch with them.