Old 06-19-2017, 10:02 AM
Jrellim27
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2017
Post Looking for advice: Flight School/Education

Hello,
I have recently gained an interest and desire to become a pilot. I have been searching all over the internet and I'm not sure where to start. I am 25, no college degree, and recently moved to Colorado. I am interested in getting a Private Pilot License, working my way up to a Commercial License and learning everything I need to know. I'm not sure if I want to work for regional, majors, cargo, corporate, get into aerobatics, or find a way to involve it with a photography job. There are so many opportunities that I'd just like to get my license first and go from there. I am also interested in going to school and finally getting a degree.

I know there are a a few options out there:
1. Go to an Aviation University (UND, Embry-Riddle, Purdue..)
2. Military/Airforce
3. Go to a local mom/pop flight school and at the same time attending a college for a degree for something else. (I read about having a back up plan in case you don't pass a medical, furlough, etc.)

I really love the thought of attending a school like UND and just being fully immersed in everything aviation, being surrounded by students with the same passion and goals, having access to alumni, a network, and many programs/clubs. I also like that they are part 141 and seem very thorough. I won't ponder if I'm missing any sort of important knowledge/training by going to UND. My main concern is I just moved to CO and can't afford the expense of moving again so quickly. But I'm not ruling it out. I'm also very interested in the local mom/pop flight schools due to the opportunity of gaining special knowledge they don't teach you in school. I like that in the area we can get mountain flying training that you can't obtain in flat land ND... Plus, it's much cheaper. I also have NO life obligations right now (boyfriend, friends, family, school, job, etc.) as I just moved here. So that does allow me to put in the time and dedication to fly and train as often as I want. I think If I went to a mom/pop flight school I could "fly" through training pretty quickly

That also brings up another question. This might be a silly question but are there places to look that would offer financial help for mom/pop schools? I.E. scholarships/grants. I'd need to be taking out a hefty ($30,000-$40,000?) personal loan in order to do this. I am currently looking for a job.

I'm looking to hopefully receive some insight, advice, and personal experiences. If there is anyone reading this from CO: What flight school and education route did you choose?