View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 03:07 PM
BravoPapa
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017
Default Should you tip your flight attendant?

Should you tip your flight attendant?

Should you tip your flight attendant? For such a commonly asked question, the answer is anything but simple.

Tippers argue that at a time when service and amenities are on the decline, a standout crew member deserves a dollar bill or two. But there are more effective ways of acknowledging great service, and down the line, you risk creating a another class of tip-dependent employees.

In the airline industry, this question is far from settled. Some airlines allow tipping, others don't.

"Flight attendants should not be tipped," says Jo Jo Harder, a former flight attendant. "I understand that guests feel compelled to tip" for good service, but in her career it was "not allowed."

Except when it is. At Southwest Airlines, flight attendants initially refuse a tip, but if a passenger insists, they're allowed to gratefully accept it, say current and former crew members.

"The largest tip I ever received was left for me in an empty peanut bag," recalls Lauren Cashman, who used to work at Southwest. "The passenger came to the back galley and said he had won big in Vegas and wanted to share. The peanut bag contained $600. I split it with my crew, and we had a great dinner that night in Reno."

Is there a better way of acknowledging and encouraging great service? Absolutely. For starters...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ant/102912112/