Old 06-24-2017, 09:54 AM
ecam
Banned

Joined APC: May 2017

Originally Posted by sargeanb View Post
Hello all,

I'm currently a 10 year regional capt. I live 10 miles from CVG, I've been making the long drive to my base in CMH for years, and it's beginning to get old. I'm becoming interested in Allegiant. A few questions for you all.

1. Is CVG a solid base? Do you see it closing anytime soon? (Tough question in this business, I know

2. Are many assigned CVG right out of training?

3. What is take-home pay first year typically, including per-diem, etc.?

4. What is the general consensus on job security there? Are most ready to jump ship at a moments notice, or is Allegiant a good place to throw anchor?

That's about it. My worst fear is starting there and then having the base close and being forced to move or commute. I'm just trying to make an informed decision if/when I leave my current employer.
1. CVG is solid, and will probably grow. Nothing is certain in this industry, but it's a very good bet.

2. CVG is somewhat senior for both FOs and CAs. One of those places where people already live, and once they get the award, they stay. Plan on being assigned LAX, PGD, FLL, or OAK as a new hire on the Bus or LAS and SFB on the 80. Our bidding is 6 months out (in other words, 6 months from award to effective date), so plan on commuting and crash pad for at least that long. CVG as a new hire is rare but not unheard of. VBD is an option many commuters choose until they can get the base they want, but it's shrinking and hasn't been offered in a while.

3. All told, first year will probably be $60-$75K depending on how long you take in training, and how much you fly. Anything picked up on off days pays above guarantee, and once you cross 81 hours "PCH" (our term for pay credit), everything above it pays at 130%. So there are opportunities to make money, but you will still take a first year hit from CA pay at most regionals.

4. Most people are happy here, and plan to make a career of it. Those who are unhappy are vocal, but usually move on pretty quickly. Research our business model. We're unlike any other airline. It's not for everyone, but for many, it's a dream flying job. It's definitely better than any regional out there, and if you hate it, apply to the big 3 from here.