View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 06:40 PM
bluefxstc
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2017

Originally Posted by snackysmores View Post
If you aren't IFR current or have very little IFR experience it would be an uphill battle.

During the winter months it will be routine to take off into IMC and not break out until you're at minimums on the approach at your destination.
My point exactly. I don't think flying 60 hours/6 months in a small single engine would be a very good indicator of success in a Q 400. If they want to test for that, put the applicant in the box and see how they do. My initial point was, at a time that they were reportedly canceling flights for lack of FOs, they were raising the standards for applicants. That would be reasonable if there was a high failure rate in training, but I haven't heard of that. Not that I would necessary know about it, just that I haven't' heard about it in the forums. It also assumes that the standard they are using is a good indicator of future success in training/flying, but it doesn't seem to be. Flying VFR in uncontrolled airspace doesn't seem to be a good indicator of success in the IFR/121 environment.