View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 07:34 PM
snackysmores
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: fatigued

Originally Posted by bluefxstc View Post
My point exactly. I don't think flying 60 hours/6 months in a small single engine would be a very good indicator of success in a Q 400. If they want to test for that, put the applicant in the box and see how they do. My initial point was, at a time that they were reportedly canceling flights for lack of FOs, they were raising the standards for applicants. That would be reasonable if there was a high failure rate in training, but I haven't heard of that. Not that I would necessary know about it, just that I haven't' heard about it in the forums. It also assumes that the standard they are using is a good indicator of future success in training/flying, but it doesn't seem to be. Flying VFR in uncontrolled airspace doesn't seem to be a good indicator of success in the IFR/121 environment.
We used to evaluate pilots on a Frasca simulator with a basic vectors to an ILS profile but too many people were failing it. Then they switched to a desktop redbird sim (way easier) and people were still failing that. Their logic was "They failed the frasca/redbird, but MAYBE they will make it okay in the sim."