Old 06-27-2017, 05:43 PM
crewdawg
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by rekatron View Post
I went straight from the heavy mil flying to airlines, got called by like 4 majors, so here's my two cents.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do is fly your butt off at the unit so you can upgrade as fast as possible. Being an AC or IP in a mil heavy gets you more points than right seat of a CRJ.
I tend to disagree. I will say up front that I'm a pointy nose guy and not a heavy driver. I was hired, by 2 legacies in early 2014, before most of my squadron mates who were all 1600-2000+ hour Viper IPs/EPs. I was only a 4-ship flight lead (not an IP) with just shy of 1,000 hours in the Viper, 700 light GA hours and ~100 hours 121 time. The only reason I think I was called is because I was able to check the 121 container.

A squadron mate had pretty much the same quals as me and he was hired by both cargo carriers and a legacy.

An indoc classmate was a regional captain and a C-130 co-pilot...he was hired buy JetBlue, USAir, AAL and got a DAL invite that he turned down.

If you can swing it financially, I would go to the regionals and build your TT as fast as possible. You'll still be gaining mil experience while gaining 121 experience. Upgrade as fast as possible (at both) and try for LCA/sim instructor/etc...

Originally Posted by rekatron View Post
However, if your unit is giving you the runaround with getting flight time and upgrades, then look for leadership and volunteer roles at an airline. Upgrade to captain, become an instructor, LCA, whatever. Or, hell, volunteer with the union and work at the MEC/LEC/some committee. Majors want to see that you're more than some mindless stick jockey -- they want you being a leader from the first day you hit the line, not learning as you go.

While you're doing that, you need to hit up the networking aspect. Talk to people. Go to events -- doesn't necessarily have to be job fairs, but can be conventions or volunteer gigs. Pick the brain of airline dudes at your unit about how to meet dudes that can write you recommendations and introduce you to chief pilots and union leaders. You would be surprised how many higher up airline dudes I met who happened to be wearing a green bag.
Agreed 100%!