Thread: PSA Upgrades
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 06:32 AM
Thedude86
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Originally Posted by Braniff DC8 View Post
You had my interest now you have my attention!

Being CRJ rated, and a former Captain on the Barbie dream jet (albeit for a short time before the airline tipped over and fell into the swamp, but the third one stood up), what does this mean for old timers like moi?

I've read reserve for five years? As Ken? (That means Capt)
Junior base(s) DAY TYS and CVG would be hard to get to for me?
Quality of life on Reserve? Can you move say days off, swap, drop and pick up, fly or TDY at other bases?
I'm interested in the pass travel at the Imperial fleet most of all, CJO, not so much. Being a 707 engineer in New York does nothing for me.
Are the recent changes in the health bennies going to be fixed as thats important as well?

Thank you.
I can answer a few of your questions...

What it means for "old timers" is that anyone in just a few short weeks with 1,000 hours of 121 time will be able to upgrade. Although, I have a feeling if you're not currently on property I would guess you have missed the boat. I think they company is going to raise captain pay to entice the qualified FOs to change their bid status to Captain which would cause the upgrade time to go back up to 2-2.5 years. That's only IF (big if) the company raises captain pay. If they continue to drag their feet and keep captain pay where it is....then I'd say come on over. There will be captain spot waiting for you.

I will also add that if you don't need PIC time to enhance you're resumé or don't care about going to a major, I think it's pointless to come in for a captain position unless the company changes the captain pay. I'm on pace to only make 400 bucks less than a reserve captain this year and I get 15-17 days off every month. If was willing to pick up ONE day of flying each month I would actually take a $2,500 PAY CUT to upgrade and sit reserve with 4-6 days off less each month. You asked about reserve time as a captain. I would guess the junior FOs upgrading now will be on reserve for a minimum of 3 years. The DECs we hired 2 years ago are still on reserve and they probably have AT LEAST 1 more year before they can hold a line.

As far as swapping reserve days I can't tell you much because I don't know what the captain reserve looks like. But for FOs in CLT I'd say there's only been around 10 days each month that have enough coverage that will allow you to swap. You can't drop reserve days. You can pick up flying in your base or other bases, but only on your days off. On your reserve days you can request first out or last out (I think it's debatable whether the company honors that).

The travel benefits are pretty good. Being a wholly owned gives us the same priority as American employees. The only difference is if you have to sit in the actual jumpseat. We get priority on PSA jumpseats. They get priority on their jumpseats.

As far as the health coverage goes I have no idea.