Thread: Web Developer
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 01:38 AM
flap
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: 777 Cap

Originally Posted by El Pilot View Post
Greetings. I have been flying for the past 7 years and only recently I got my first flying job. I have been thinking around with the idea of diving deeper into web development and flying for fun or maybe even on a part time on call basis. I have been mostly self-taught taking a few courses from team treehouse and codecademy. I am not a complete noobie, but I don't really have any work experience in web development just yet. Most of my projects have been basic HTML/CSS stuff and for practice. I was just wondering about the pro's/cons of web development field vs Piloting career. I have a passion for both but honestly, I seem to enjoy flying when it's casual instead of doing it day in and day out. Wanted to see if there are other Pilot/web developer's out there, and what study path would you guys recommend to make myself employable? Thanks.
I have flown with a number of guys over the years that do coding on the side. Some have more success than others, but most have done it as a hobby and part time gig.

I have been playing around with it for the last year and enjoy it. Have a friend that is quite competent, and he took my work and got it out to the App market.

Working on another app now, that he is coding based on my idea.

I am hoping to get to the point where I can do it all myself, but not there yet.

Having something to do on layovers or long deadheads helps keep me out of trouble!

For me a hobby, but one that offers additional earning potential.

Good luck.