View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 06:18 AM
coolyokeluke
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2015

Originally Posted by Mudhen200 View Post
This is one of the best posts I have ever seen on this board. If you want to work for Alaska please read and understand the above.
I have nearly 18 years here now. 12 more to go to age 60 and I'll punch out. The other day it stuck me - if we got bought by Delta, my life would get immeasurably better.
I am the "18 years later" version of the man who posted the above. My quality of life, my pay, my schedule will never be a fraction of what it would have been at Delta, United, American or Southwest. Just know that. Listen and learn and then make your choice.
Once again, despite years of trying, most of us aside from the military pilots don't have a choice. Other than stay at our regional etc. We did everything, we were called by one airline.

I'm also skeptical of all the claims of all the FO's leaving because they have apps out. It's one thing to apply, that only takes a modicum of effort. It's another thing to apply, update regularly, go to job fairs, volunteer for Union, Company, and community positions, actively network, pay to attend the silly job fairs, etc. I would bet a number of FO's did the former but very few pilots established at Alaska are motivated enough to do the latter.

I'm not okay with being paid less than my peers flying similar narrow body aircraft. Particularly in an area where I am going to be house poor. Although it is a return home so there's that. But once again - it's not like there was a true choice in the matter.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk