View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Sputnik
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Petting Zoo

Originally Posted by Jiggawatt View Post

- I assume driving to work (even a 3-hour drive) is far preferable to fighting for a jump seat, not having a car, missing last flight home, etc. So why do I see some people on forums talk about living in Portland and catching PDX-SEA shuttles? I feel like I'm missing something.
- Would this be a situation where I would want to get off reserve as quickly as humanly possible? i.e. how miserable is reserve going to be? I'm assuming the cap of 7 monthly short calls would help prevent driving to SEA too many times per month?
One of the glories of this job that is so hard to comprehend for a military guy is how much personal choice is available. 3+ hour drives on I5 can get old fast. If you have confidence in JS skills you can maybe get home earlier. Or maybe it would be lower stress for you to know your car is waiting for you in SEA.

Some folks like RES. Not many of them are commuters. Again, you'll figure out the answer for you.

Category and manning dependent, can possibly avoid short call by yellow slipping (volunteering to be first for flying).

Originally from the 'Couve (and still not a fan). But taxes are significantly different depending which side of state line you pick. If you choose Oregon side...crossing those bridges and just getting to them are enough of a nightmare that many would choose to fly instead of drive. Taxes and the bridges are a big reason Vancouver/Camas is known as a pilot ghetto.

We considered going back and had we done so I think we would have ended up around Olympia.

If you are set on Portland area, dont forget Alaska.

Im blathering. Yes you can easily make it work. As with all things airline, your life will improve as your seniority goes up.