View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 07:52 AM
gettinbumped
Banned

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: A320 Cap

Originally Posted by Jiggawatt View Post
Military, retiring early 2018. For family reasons probably going to move to PDX area. Looking at DAL and UAL...I posted a similar question on the Delta board given their SEA domicile, but now I'm curious how painful the PDX commute would be to SFO if I were to get hired at UAL. Here are the main things I know and my main questions:

- There are a lot of daily flights between the two airports, but I've heard there are a lot of PDX commuters.. would this be a jumpseat nightmare?
- What do pilots mean when they talk about "commutable" lines?
- Sounds like SFO is trending less junior but do you foresee it remaining junior in the long run? A big reason I would consider a PDX-SFO commute is that my seniority would build quickly in SFO.
- I've heard LAX is more commutable but more senior. Should I be aiming to get to LAX instead of SFO?

Thank you in advance!
PDX-SFO is rough. But it's less rough than it used to be. Lots of flights right now between 4 airlines. We will see what happens when AS and VX merge in terms of numbers of seats they fly. Some days the commute is no problem, other days it's nearly impossible as there are a LOT of senior guys and gals doing it. When the flow kicks in (probably 30-50% of the days depending on time of year), things get pretty intense trying to get to work. My worst ever was 7 flights between the 3 airports before I made it down there. Just make sure you're giving yourself lots of options when the loads or forecast looks bad.

Did LA for a number of years. Easier commute because less guys do it. But tougher because we don't have service between the two so you're always offline. LA is more senior than SFO but not by a ton. SFO will always trend junior because of the cost of living there and the fact that it's becoming a large hub.

Honestly, if you are specifically looking to live in PDX, I'd be applying to Alaska. But you can make it work with SFO or SEA (UAL or DAL). You will just be giving away a lot of time commuting. "Commutable lines" for a junior person would probably be trips that leave after noon and arrive before 8pm. For a senior person, probably 10am to 10pm. The good news is that there are LOTS of 4 days out there, so they are the easiest type of trip to get. Good luck in the job hunt!