View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 01:26 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by trashhauler View Post

Tony first off,my nose wasn't bent out of shape. Wether you get paid or not, you have to first volunteer to get into that position. As we all know Tony, the vast majority of pilots never volunteer for anything in the union throughout their career. Everybody has the same option if they think somebody is getting a good deal to apply, volunteer for that position. Like I said, in my opinion, the compensation for what I did on the PSIT was definitely not the reason of why I did it. I would think that would vary depending on the person. I felt an obligation to do something for our union and that's where I ended up for whatever reason. I really wasn't seeking it out.

That's not the message I received when you shouted, in protest to Adlerdriver's accurate observation about the composition of the Negotiating Committee who brought us the deal, "I VOLUNTEERED!" Yes, everyone who does that job does it by choice, we get that. However, membership in that club does come with a price. Few pilots spend as much time working in the belly of the beast every month rubbing shoulders with the very people The Company trusts to extract the most work possible from us.

As for PSIT members being on the negotiating committee, I don't know wether that makes you more or less qualified to do the job. I think that at least lends to you knowing more about that section. Aren't all the members of negotiating committee voted on by the MEC? If they didn't want all the members to be prior PSIT, why did they approve them? As you also know Tony, the negotiating committee doesn't negotiate whatever they want. They get their marching orders from the MEC. They have some latitude obviously, but in the end, the MEC votes on wether to approve whatever the negotiating committee brings to them.

Why did the MEC _________?

How much time do you have to listen?

I think it is critical for the Negotiating Committee to have access to a scheduling SME, and having a member of that committee who is a scheduling SME is an asset. However, having ONLY scheduling SMEs is not, and that is what Adlerdriver's observed. I can assure you, it was not our unanimous decision.

You wouldn't take your car with a wheel alignment problem to a shop that only installs glass.

The questions I asked you about build week were not meant to denigrate you, or your choice to do union work, or the trade-offs you made to do that work. They were meant to describe the relationship between a PSIT volunteer and The Company. The culture that is cultivated in that environment, in my opinion, does NOT prepare one to be the Negotiating Committee Chairman. He needs to be able to **** The Company off, not **** his pants when The Company says, "No."

Also, the pilot group makes the final decision. We can beat this into the ground all day long, and the results will not change. Maybe it's time to move forward and hope we can actually unite. Not holding my breath!

Try to take a breath and consider the context of this conversation. Adlerdriver only observed a few facts about how we got here and related them to where we might go in the future with retirement options. Based on his accurate observations, he has (and I have) little confidence (dare I say no confidence) that we'll find something that benefits us AND The Company. If The Company agrees to it, you know it benefits them. If our Negotiating Committee says it will also benefit us ...? Will you believe?