View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 06:27 AM
Pedro4President
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by FTFF View Post
Hi guys,

Sorry to crash your thread but I was searching for 401K info and read thru the last few pages. Just wanted to comment to the youngins: I did, on average, about a 4.5% contribution when I was at the regionals which was matched at different rates while I was there. I also carried in some small 410K balance from my flight instructor days. After 13+ years at the regionals (I was part of the lost generation) I rolled over a little more than $100K into my UPS 401K. So yes, even a tiny bit adds up over time. One thing that was ubiquitously stressed my first year at Brown was to always max out the 401K. That mentality went so far as to even suggest taking a loan year one to ensure maxing it out (we have industry losing year 1 pay). Looking back I wish I had done at least 10% from the first day I worked, graduating to max-out a couple of years after upgrade. The guys who did are now looking at early retirement whilst I'll have to play catchup and work more years. Anyway, something to consider.

Best of luck to you guys.
Although I would never advocate taking a loan out for first year pay the rest of the info is spot on. Contribute EARLY and consistently is the only trick when it comes to building a retirement fund. Also, if you have no idea what to invest in then I would go with the advice of Warren Buffet. Research what he says about low cost S&P 500 index funds.