View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Aero1900
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: 1900D CA

I'm just guessing of course, but I bet the new Boeing won't be designed for single pilot or remote operation in any way. In fact, I bet it's an exact copy of the 787 flight deck.

In my mind, one of the hurdles is simply making the decision as to which road to go down, single pilot, remote operation, or autonomous operation. I see at least 3 different paths technology could go to, but I don't see anything near a consensus.

The industry will need to settle on one of these paths, before you can begin to discuss a time table for implementing anything. My bet would be single pilot with remote backup from a joint dispatcher/ pilot type person. The remote guy just monitors the progress of 5 flights at a time, each being flown by a single pilot. The guy on the ground can takeover, or assist in any way. This way you can work towards cutting costs wile still leaving a captain in the plane.

The accident rate for single pilot corporate jets is worse than in crew cockpit corporate jets, and I think that fact will be a compelling argument against getting rid of the FO.

I think this is all farther into the future than some have suggested. I'm young, and I'm confident my career will be safe. I wouldn't recommend my young children to pursue being professional pilots though