Thread: Nwa
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 08:23 PM
XJPILOT1
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: SAABster

Originally Posted by SCRWDbyMGMT View Post
I work at NWA. The last time NWA had a push for hiring they received over 12000 applications in the first 2 weeks. This time they receive 1200 in 2 weeks. In August they hired and trained 26 internal new hire pilots. What they don't tell you is that in August they had 50 requests for early retirement and 37 resignations. We had about 800 guys on furlough in January 2007. Only about 300 elected to return to NWA. Although I don't have a specific number, I do know that there have been a percentage of people that were on furlough, returned to NWA, and have since quit.
The work environment at NWA is terrible. However, I would imagine the environment at the other bankrupt carriers is terrible as well. So NWA is no different. Everyone knows they were cheated by the bankruptcy laws, airline management and, more importantly, ALPA. With this knowledge of being cheated, very few and, I mean VERY FEW, people are happy working at NWA. Remember, there is NO PENSION and essentially no benefits to new employees. You will have to fund your own retirement and with the current pay, that would be very difficult if not impossible.

Be very carefull in your decision. If you are educated and have other skills I would HIGHLY recommend that you carefully weigh your career choices. There are very few benefits to this career. And, this is coming from someone who has loved aviation for his entire life. I am nearly 56 and deeply regret my decision to pursue the airline dream. If you are a young guy, you have knowedge that we didn't have in the 1970's. You have already seen what has happened to career pilots. Pilots my age had no idea that companies could, or would do, what they have done to faithful employees.
There are good companies to work for but, the airlines is not one of them.
Sweet now get your DC-9 outta my way.