L-1011-500
Line Holder
close
  • Joined APC
    Jan 2006
  • Position
    Now on the IATA Death Star
Quote: L-1011-500,
Does the ANG give preference to prior active duty who is currently a USAF Reservists and also a USAF Federal Employee? My dream, ever since I joined active duty in 1997 was to become a pilot. I will be training for my PPL at Edwards AFB, where I currently work as a civil service employee, at the Aero club beginning in May. My plan is to join any guard unit that will take me, but I prefer a fighter unit probably in the NY or NJ area. There may be a problem with my age though, because I'm turning 29 in June, but I hear they give waivers for prior active service. I'm the kind of guy who always volunteers for deployments and always tries to work available man days (I'm single). I love being attached to the reserves, but my current unit at March ARB doesn't get deployed much and with my current job (Ammo) at a ARW, I don't really get to do much but work with Chaff, Flare, and small arms mostly (get to work with missiles and bombs at Edwards though). My contract with reserves is up in a few months and I gotta get back to the tip of the spear. Sorry for the long post, but I would really appreciate some help with someone in the know. Thanks a lot.
As for your age you are cutting it pretty close. I would put in as many applications as you can and do it fast. Don't fixate on being a fighter pilot because if your dream is to fly then go where you can fly.