View Single Post
Old 07-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Nevjets
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Originally Posted by RI830 View Post
We get all amped up about the number of hours a pilot may have when hired, but why is that the only matrix that we judge a pilot off of?
Number of hours is only a measure of how long he/she has mindlessly sat in an airplane. It doesn't prove how good of a stick they are, how their decision making capabilities are or whether they can get themselves out of a wet paper sack when asked.

I'm not in favor of dropping the hours to any particular level, but finding a way to assess a pilots skill set prior to plopping them into an RJ. Majors have video interviews, in person interviews and psych tests to gain an understanding of their decision making and persona. A sim session should always be required to include more than the standard pattern to a landing.
I've seen guys with 500 hrs who out fly guys with 2500 hrs. And I've seen 10,000 guys who can't make an assertive decision to save their lives. So to say a guy who has 1500 hrs is suddenly qualified to fly is a joke. In these crashes, there were two people in the cockpit, not just a low time FO.....where is the legislation to increase PIC mins? Many regionals are upgrading guys in 6-12 months, I find this far more dangerous than hiring a guy with only 1000-1200 hrs

Just my 0.02 cents

Pilots prove their skills during initial training. If he doesn't have the necessary skills, they should be washed out. So no need to change anything.

As for upgrade time, you still need 1,000 hours of 121 time before you are eligible. No one can accumulate that much time in less than one year.