View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 09:17 PM
Apokleros
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Position: ERJ

Originally Posted by BeatNavy View Post
If you want to be a helo only dude in the ANG/reserves, maybe. If you become an army pilot, even if you go army fixed wing, you still will have to go through full UPT for the Air Force and meet age/commissioned time in service limits or get waivers. Look up the aeronautical review board AFIs for the info on that. The AF used to have a fixed wing qual course with no waivers required and it was mostly army folks going through it, but they got rid of it a few years ago. Age waivers in the guard/reserves are being given until 35 right now fwiw. Finding a unit willing to give a waiver is probably the biggest hurdle. The ones I know that have done it usually do it for guys enlisted in the unit.

So if you are against army flying long term and just want to use it to get into the ANG/AFRES, it's probably not a great idea. If you want to go fly helos in the army (or king airs or whatever else) and then go fly helos or ospreys in the ANG/AFRES, it's doable. If you want to fly airplanes in the Air Force, you are better off rushing guard/reserve units, or just applying (unsponsored) to an AFRC UPT board, knowing that you'll probably be stuck flying heavies if you get selected on that board.

That's the long answer. What do you want to fly in the ANG/Reserve?
Thanks for the worthwhile information. To be frank, I will take whatever I can get that is fixed-wing. Given that I am above 30, I feel can't be picky. I would actually prefer heavies over fighters though if the choice presented itself. I have heard that certain C-130 units need pilots more than units of other airframes. When you wrote unsponsored, does that mean lacking the support of a recruiter or a particular unit?