View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 11:07 AM
tm602
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014
Position: Just a pilot

Originally Posted by Std Deviation View Post
Physiological breakdown how? I think you nailed it when you said average. Mean, median, mode, variability, etc. all matter. The fact that the cancer rate is X doesn't imply I'll get cancer. Does the AMA have studies on airline pilots or the general population? So we're dealing with similar but not exact sample populations (with age being the only correlate)? Speaking of, what's the statistical power of those studies. If I'm on your Ph.D committee you're going to have to do a lot more convincing.

"Proof." A very, very strong and confident statement.
Look, I'm just trying to get some experiences here, not get in a debate (I never debate without a little bourbon...it loosens me up to listen better). The data provided by NASA studies are performed by people smarter than you and me, are thorough, and pretty darn conclusive. Their data does reference pilots vs the average population and the term breakdown was my term, not theirs (I'm trying to keep it layman's terms). Let's not treat this like advanced snowflakes whose feelings of sensitivity about age and mortality are a factor. You know how quickly rockets will fly sideways in these forums.
All I am doing is seeking the experience from commuting from professional pilots who commute before and after work, especially across multiple time zones (which often results in shorter overnights before the assignment begins than they have during the assignment). And to see the results of how it affects them as they age.
The simple fact is that if you take a group of 100 pilots age 30 and a group of 100 pilots age 50, there WILL be a difference in health and stamina stacked rather well in favor of the 30-somethings. Anyone who disputes this is in denial or just has to do a little studying. I don't care about people's red herrings, their little felings or whatever. Just the facts, the facts and nothing but the facts. There are 60 year-old men who can bench press more than many high school kids, does that mean we should put them on the gridiron to play football with them? Let's keep things factual and real here.
Now, back to the issue at hand....