View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 07:26 AM
Dubiousbrother
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2017
Position: 777 all

If and when the language is finalized to a contractual language level and not sent out for a vote, or at a minimum the information is not shared with the membership, then I believe we will have some problems.

Let’s be blunt. The reason the hierarchy within the IBT doesn’t desire a vote based on the last proposal, is because they’re concerned it might pass. Approving a contract that doesn’t meet the IBT leadership’s goals will hinder the negotiations at say…Atlas.

So it really comes down to a basic philosophical decision:

1. Should the first obligation of our OAI representatives be to us….or.
2. Should the first obligation of our reps be to the IBT in a larger industry wide sense?

This same decision process can be applied to the IBT 1224 as well.

That’s the way I see it.

From a point of principle, I think allowing each Omni crewmember to vote is the most unbiased and evenhanded way forward. Everyone gets one vote and thus, their say.

If the offer doesn’t meet the majority’s requirements – it’s voted down.

If the offer meets the majority’s requirements – it’s voted in.

To ExtraMediums point; I don’t completely trust the Company or the IBT. Sorry - but I believe we are being played by other forces within the IBT.

That’s not to say they don’t have many of our best interests at hand, or that everyone involved is operating unethically, but ultimately I have more trust in using my own eyes and ears along with all individual members voting together.

You’re free to disagree and if so, no hard feelings.

Greenflash had a good point awhile back that if a vote took place and was voted down, that would further delay the process. I have to think OAI ownership is aware of this and would make the offer such that it has a high likelihood of passing. I could be wrong.

ExtraMedium has more trust in the IBT than I do (Not that I have zero trust). I could be wrong.