Thread: Airline to OCS
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 05:07 AM
Slim11
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2012
Position: left seat CRJ (again!)

Originally Posted by FLYMIA View Post
Thanks for all the input. I'm still trying to get as much info as I can. I have met with an Army Guard recruiter who has put others through OCS. Some Red Flags out the gate were that I would have to enlist prior to OCS. I know other branches don't do this. From what I have been putting together is that Army/GUARD/RES does do this and it is in your contract that you will discharge if not completing OCS. Are there any Guard or Reserve Army Officer's here that can confirm?
I'm going to add some variables here...

First, like you, I began my effort to become a military pilot a little too late. That was back in the 1980s when age waivers were nearly impossible to get in the ANG. I did get a slot but became medically disqualified. At the time, I could have gotten out but chose to stay in non-aviation positions. It turned out to be one of the better decisions I ever made. Now, I'm retired and flying in the airline world.

Second, while I did enlist, there is no absolute requirement for one to enlist before being able to compete for pilot training slots in the ANG/ARNG. It seems to help more with the ARNG. Some recruiters, not all, will tell an applicant they must enlist first. As others have said, this is not true. At the same time, recruiters have their mission and if someone like you walks in, they will attempt to get you to sign the on the dotted line first. Once you've done so, there isn't much they can do for you regarding flight school.

I'm retired from the ARNG, Signal Corps.

Best of luck to you!