View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Tailwind62
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2017

Originally Posted by CaptYoda View Post
I would look at the disqualifying conditions that you had and then the FAA protocol on how to report and resolve it. If you find that you are not able to do the process yourself, consider the services of AOPA Medical, AMAS, Leftseat.com or Dr. Bruce as have been listed here. They are all very good. Expect it to take time and you have to do everything the FAA requires if you stand any chance at all. The biggest issue the FAA says is folks don't provide whats asked for and in the correct format. Other than AOPA, you can expect to spend few thousand dollars for consults and tests. If you get a special issuance, it may take 6-12 months minimum. And there will be an ongoing protocol on a yearly basis.
Yoda,

Thanks for the reply. I'll confess that looking over the AME flow charts for my two conditions I'm not sure if I can navigate them without help. I have a free intake call with Mayo Clinic's Aerospace Medicine dept. From there, they will suggest further action (such as an AME consult or any tests the FAA may want when the time comes).

If those costs balloon to a point I can't handle, I will go the AOPA route. The membership + medical plus service will be about $150. I'm not sure of the amount of help they provide, but just having a consult would be great.

Thanks again for your help.