View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 05:23 PM
sealandair
Chopstick Grandmaster

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Default My AME screwed up... gave wrong SSN

Well I've never run into this before. So I filled out an application for First Class medical on MedXpress last week, double checked every question and answer, submitted, and printed off a copy of the app with the confirmation number. Today was my medical exam with the AME. I got through all the vital measurements with the nurse, but when my AME came in he said he wasn't certified to give 1st classes, just 2nd and 3rd. However when I called his office to make the appointment, I asked if he gave the first class and his assistant said yes. Yes, I know I could have checked the FAAs AME directory to verify, but he's been my AME for the last two 2nd class exams, and I trusted what his scheduler told me. Anyway, I said a 2nd class was fine right now... I only hold a CPL, and wouldn't need a 1st Class for at least several months down the line. He finished my exam, then took my original 8500-8 form with the confirmation number, and said he would correct the application to show I applied for a 2nd class, not 1st class. He re-generated a new 8500-8 and gave it to me.

Well, when I got home an hour later, I looked over the "new" 8500-8 and there in box 4 was a Social Security no. I've never seen the likes of before. Certainly not mine, and really strange numbers. Called his office immediately, they were dumbfounded and said they'd ask him and call right back. No call came, so I call them back an hour later. The secretary claimed she tried to call me back (total bs), and told me the AME said I'd have to call Oklahoma City to straighten things out, as he's already transmitted the report. I also got the feeling she was suggesting the error was made on my behalf, saying nothing was changed on the new app except for the class of medical I was applying for. I have a copy of my original 8500-8, and as I said, I double checked everything and on it is my correct SSN. Not sure if OC is going to give me a roasting for not checking the new completed 8500-8 immediately after he handed it to me or not. Moreover, this does not invalidate my 2nd class medical I jut took and passed with flying colors in any way, does it? Certainly OC would catch the error when comparing the two different SSNs... but what they do after that I have no idea. Of course I'm calling them first thing Monday. But how embarrassing.