View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 04:21 AM
MidwestXLguy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: Cubicle dweller

Originally Posted by M120876 View Post
I just received a tentative job offer to be an ASI GA Ops. I haven't flown a small aircraft in about 10 years. I plan on flying to TX early to learn how to fly the Seminole. Any idea on how many hours I should plan for to get comfortable flying the Seminole and what to expect on the check ride/oral?
Thank you!
Congrats. Mine was three years ago, had another guy go through about fourteen months ago and it was the same.

They'll send you the maneuvers, speeds, profiles. The check airman will run the checklists, radios, program the GPS, if you wish. They'll give you 15 mins to 'warm up', and I would recommend taking full advantage of that.

You'll do steep turns, slow flight, stalls, Vmc demo, a couple of unusual attitudes. You'll do three or four approaches, one single-engine, an aborted takeoff - I think that's about it.

I hadn't flown a Seminole in 30 years, nor had the guy hired after me. That being said, I was doing steep turns in the sim every six months, so felt pretty prepared. The Seminole is very heavy on the elevator during steep turns, that was my only challenge. I've talked to those that went down and paid All ATP's $800, and have heard everything from 'it helped' to 'I still failed'.

Best of luck. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.