Thread: Approaches
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 01:05 PM
AvSudo
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2017
Lightbulb Approaches

Good afternoon everyone, I just had a quick question to see if anyone has had similar experiences/insight about something I noticed.

I have recently gotten my CFII rating but have been aware of this weird tendency to have some issues with my approaches, particularly with ILS/LPV. I noticed (and even during my instrument rating) that I could track both the CDI and GS in very accurately until I'm about 500' above DA.
The airplane is flown in the same manner as from when I become established, it's just around the 500' mark, the needles seem to ALWAYS start running away from me, the CDI in particular.

I understand that conditions (wind) can change substantially as you change altitudes as well as the sensitivity of the nav equipment increases the closer to the runway, however, I can't help feeling that there must be something else. I only seem to notice this in the real airplane as when I practice in the sim, I have them pegged all the way down.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I am aware that I still have a tremendous amount of work to do. Thank you in advance!