View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 09:15 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by lov2fly View Post
Well, I finally got my medical... The joy I feel is staggering, compares only to my first flight lesson. minus the shaking.

I want to thank all the support I have received from all of you.

I did apply for a second class/student , but receive a third class with the requirement of taking a Medical Flight Exam for a "SODA".

It is also a Special Issuance with mandates of a neurological exam next year.

I believe that the SODA is a one time only bit, but I wonder If I need re-demonstrate as I pile up the ratings.

Now my goal is to get hired by a regional. Will the "Special Issuance" or the "SODA" get in my way?
Ratings don't affect medical requirements at all, nothing will change when you add certificates and ratings.

A SODA is usually a one-time thing, unless they feel that your condition might change going forward. The good thing about a SODA is that it does not show up on your medical (I think)...it's between you, the AME,and the FAA.

A special issuance is a different story...that will show up on your medical and will likely preclude employment at an airline. A company MIGHT make an exception depending on what the condition is, but a neurological thing might be a problem.

In your case it sounds like maybe the SI was just added to require you to get a neurological exam next year...if that exam is a one-time thing hopefully your next medical will not have the SI. If you are set on the airlines, you will really want to try to do whatever it takes to get rid of that SI and get a clean First Class medical.

Be aware that most regionals and some majors do not do medical exams or ask medical questions...show them a clean FAA first class medical and you're good to go.

However...many major airlines do their own exam and ask a lot of questions. You probably don't want to lie (since it's in your FAA medical record), but a history of a neurological problem will likely be a stumbling block...unless it is 100% cured and not coming back.