View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 04:02 AM
ZapBrannigan
Furloughed Again?!

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Boeing 737

Originally Posted by CRJDriver View Post
But are they actually hiring guys, yet without Turbine PIC time? I'm 10+ years 121 experience, but no TPIC time (not by choice), currently flying for a 'major'. Is it worth going to the hiring expo? I've heard TPIC is still a must or your resume has to be pretty amazing with other qualifications to even get a look.

Just wanted to say that I did the same thing you did. Went to a major before 9/11 without any turbine PIC. Furloughed after 9/11 and the competitive hiring requirements went through the stratosphere. Took me another 10 years to finally get that 1000 PIC turbine.

I have a whole lot of regrets in my career but one of the biggest was leaving the regionals before getting the PIC time. That decision ended up costing me many years of struggles during the lean times of the lost decade.

I don't think that you're in the same boat given the current hiring environment. But I also believe that things are still pretty competitive. Without the PIC time I think that you would need some impressive qualifications that help your resume rise to the top among the many candidates who DO have PIC time (in addition to check airmen, chief pilots, WINGS counselors, huge volunteerism, folks with masters degrees, etc)

Another year into the shortage and things might be different. I'm rooting for you! Hopefully you do better than I did.