Thread: Flaps 45 vs. 22
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 03:44 PM
Squirrel27
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by CBreezy View Post
At TSA, it's whatever you want but encourage 45. My technique was to use idle buckets unless on a wet or snowy runway. It drove me crazy when new FOs would get on full reverse on a 10000 foot runway. I'd apply light to medium braking just to get them warmed up but that's all it really needs.
I'm at Envoy and new on the airplane, just over 100 hours, and this is a great discussion. Thanks for everyone's input.

It seems like the 145 is the only commercial aircraft that doesn't use reversers on landing as the default. In training, I was told that the brakes actually last longer if they get really hot during landings. I don't really know enough about the subject to call BS on it, but it seems weird to me.

In training, flaps 22 was the default, except for non precision approaches, where 45 is encouraged. I've been doing most of my landings 22, but after flying with captains who have 10,000+ hours, they have convinced me that flaps 45 would make more sense in a lot of cases. I'm going to start doing most of my landings at 45 now.