View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 09:28 AM
nightfreight
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

It sounds like the same rehash of events.

It is funny that with all of the so-called ALPA experts, that many of us here predicted that Age 65 legislation was not imminent. I know I did, and I am certainly no expert. Any legislation is difficult to pass now, and this is no different. Also, Blakey was scheduled to leave office in September and this didn't give her a lot of time to get this done. We have a new (interim) FAA Adminstrator, Robert Sturgell.

It is extememly difficult to predict when/if this legislation will pass.

As far as ALPA's involvement in the process, I didn't read much in the FDX Alpa email that I am in favor of.

1. Changes to retirement age will have to be negotiated by RLA. This sounds great, but in reality, this is the case anyway.

2. No increased medical standards on Age 60+ individuals. Wasn't this all about safety at one point? Why shouldn't they have the Euro physical standards above age 60? The Age 65 advocates want the same rules as ICAO, let them take the same physical. We all know that the FAA physical process is a complete waste of time.

3. Ensuring that over 60 flight crew members have the right to come back to the front seats. This only involves a handful of companies, and we at FDX pushed hard to get this in the legislation. Thanks guys!

This is a dividing issue, one that our MEC overstepped their responsibilities. I still hope all of that regime will be voted out and sent on their way. They have single handedly caused a divide in our union that won't be repaired.