Old 08-28-2017, 03:37 AM
Rcordeiro122592
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Originally Posted by E2CMaster View Post
L3, while not sunshine and rainbows every day hasn't been a bad place to be.

Biggest pluses:
Stable Contract (by contractor standards anyways)
Pay is average for industry
Benefits are OK if you need them (I use Tricare Reserve)

Biggest Minuses:
It's basically a regional airline with ****ty bases from a size standpoint. As a result, management is occasionally out of touch with the reality on the ground.
401k match is bad both in amount (4%) and vesting schedule.
3rd circle of hell Coach for really long international legs.
If you go to one of the few "nice" det sites, you may be living in a hotel, but you also take a 35% pay cut. And no, you don't get to choose where you go.

Dealers Choice
If you are hired at the right time of year, you will NEVER work Christmas or Thanksgiving, and manning will always be fat when you are working. Or, it could be the total opposite.

I know some will argue about the 401k because compared to Avenge it is better, but the industry as a whole has **** tier 401k plans.
There is no B fund contribution from the company.

When I was at BakerHughes, I got:
6% 401k match. Instant Vest.
4% "Pension" 3 year vest prorated per month. (think B fund)
20% discount on company stock

L3 is
4% Match
No B fund
25/50/100 1/2/3 years vesting
10% Stock Plan (I think.. Its not 20 though)

Now as far as the SIC program, it's a financially better choice than a regional. But keep in mind, you will be getting SIC time, in a plane that's normally single piloted. It's legal to log because the USAF requires two pilots, but I have been asked about my ~800 hours of King Air SIC time at an interview.
Thanks for the quick response!

It is definitely something I will be applying for. I've always wanted to fly military but after doing 4 years in the Marines I can't bring myself to commit to a 8-10 year pilot contract and see that this is the next best thing.

There's people out there logging SIC time in Caravans and PC-12s moving to the airlines, I see SIC time in a King Air as a step above and gaining that valuable multi turbine time.

How much flying do you do during the 90 day cycles?

I saw for their job posting online their mins are 1000TT do you know if there's any flexibility with that? How long does the application process take? That way I could apply now before 1000 and start there when I hit 1000.

From what I understand, the day rates vary based on location? What are the average pay rates you've seen?

Sorry for all the questions, there's not much info about ISR flying out there.

Thank you!