View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 02:51 PM
mcclune18
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2017
Default Military training explanation

Hey guys,
This is my first post on this forum so please bear with me!

I am a relative newcomer to US military aviation, but I am hoping to join a military service as a pilot once I graduate from university. I am studying a Master’s degree in Aerospace Engineering.

Essentially, I am writing this post to gain information on the early training each service gives to its pilots, and which training system is considered to produce the best pilots. If possible, would anyone be able to provide me with the training phase steps of each service?

My first question is about Initial Flight Training. Does everyone (i.e. every service and PPL/non PPL holders) have to complete this phase, and what is involved? I hold a UK PPL, and I was told that if you do hold a PPL that you can progress past this phase, straight into Primary Flight training.
Despite having a PPL, I would like to complete this phase to make sure that I am using the correct techniques whilst flying, would this be possible?

Is IFT there to introduce the basics of flying (such as Effects of Controls, Straight and Level etc) so that you hit the ground running once you move on to Primary/SUPT training? Or are the basics also taught on the T6 as a recap for those coming straight in with a PPL? Is there a Primary/SUPT syllabus guide available anywhere?

As a last question, which training system (USAF/US Navy/ Marines) do you consider to produce the best pilots?

Again, please bear with my ignorance!

Many Thanks,
mcclune18