View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 12:57 PM
Yumyum
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: CaptFo

Originally Posted by HighFlight View Post
A certain amount of bitterness can be expected from being told NO by Delta. Actually, I think dejection is more the norm. Again, totally understandable. That being said, none of the CAs I have flown with who are in that boat are overly negative. Most are fun to fly with, and good mentors overall. No complaints from me.

For those of you who are newer to the industry, and "have it all figured out"... bear in mind that all of the older folks at EDV came here with the same enthusiasm as you have now. Get in, do your time, move up. That was the plan. Look what life did to their plans. Doesn't make them poor pilots because they didn't move up. Nor bad people, nor lazy. They did back then what we are all doing now, but for less than half the money. They scraped, scrimped, and tried to support their families with what little they made. They lost their jobs, got downgraded, some multiple times, changed jobs, etc.

So keep all of that in mind when you are judging the fine folks who are stuck here with no hope of moving on to Delta. They did their best in a world where upward mobility was nil at best. Those of us who are newer to the industry are very lucky to be where we are today. Making much better money than ever, with a bettter chance of moving up than the "old timers" ever had due to the stagnation they had to live thru.

So don't gloat, and for sure, do not think that you are better than they are just because you lucked into your current job at a time that is based on when your parents fell in love. It really has nothing to do with your skills nor who you think you are. It's all about timing.

Keep up the good work, everyone. And to those who came before, and paved the way for us to have it as good as it is today, thank you.
Great post! Timing is so critical in this industry. I tell all new hires how lucky they are to be young and have plenty of options. Geeze you rewind to 2006/ 08 hiring was minimal. If my memory serves me correct Fedex was the only place.

My only beef with the company is pay. It's time for a post bankruptcy contract. This pilot group has been pretty damn solid....let's get this done ALPA. We have some super senior ALPA pilots that are waiting for their hourly pay correction.