View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 02:06 PM
pokey9554
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Cessna 150

Originally Posted by uptpilot View Post
Can someone please tell me what makes the 737Max so great? It doesn't look like it beats the 321Neo in any meaningful way. I've been looking for comparisons but haven't really found any decent discussions based on metrics.
Factually, I have no idea. Based on previous generation aircraft numbers, my guess is that the 737 has a lower operating cost and Boeing is making attractive offers to potential customers.

For example, can it takeoff with a full passenger load or will you have to deplane lots of paying customers? I hear this is a problem with the later model 737s.
Of course one denied boarding due to an engineering problem is one too many, but this is more uncommon than you might think. Typically, it's due to single engine performance at the arriving airport when ice has been accumulated on surfaces without ice protection and weather conditions are such that the ice will remain on those surfaces. When those conditions don't exist, there's usually no need to remove passengers. I know of a flight in a 900ER with full fuel and full passengers that flew just over 6.5 hours.

Is there more room in the cockpit yet?
Gosh I hope so, but probably not.

Is any of the flight control system more advanced than 1960's technology?
If you're talking about fly by wire vs conventional hydraulic controls, I'd say both are pretty industry standard. There are brand new airplanes utilizing each method that have proven to be safe and reliable.