View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 06:49 AM
ptarmigan
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: B777 Captain

Originally Posted by METO Guido View Post
The truth remains, they were weak. Or at the very least, unprepared. A component supplying critical fight data failed. With that went the aircraft's ability to adequately monitor & control itself. The flight crew, unable to "sort things out," rode her down 38,000 feet (16 degrees nose up) into the abyss. Aeroperu 603, hauntingly similar, something we've chewed over more than 20 years. Asiana 214, right into a sea wall, day VFR, due to, what do you even call that? These machines are, highly automated. They are not, fail safe. If you're saying we need to better incorporate training for descending the ladder of automation , fine, I agree. Fly the airplane, hard to argue with that.
No, that is, sadly, not "the truth". I wish it was, I'd feel a lot better and it would be an easier fix. I'm sorry that people don't want to let go of that idea but the evidence just does not support it. I will further tell you that to my knowledge (based on personal interactions) NONE of those that investigated this accident would share your view.