View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 08:48 AM
ptarmigan
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: B777 Captain

Originally Posted by METO Guido View Post
I submit they did know. But for inability to shed a crippled FMS under extreme stress, couldn't get there soon enough. You worked in training, correct? Tell me you haven't observed crews in recurrent cling to flight director commands during stick shaker, unusual attitude or loss of situational awareness situations when they freely admit at de-brief they "knew" it couldn't help.

Came across a report from what I seem to recall was a Delta PI, many years ago. In it, he detailed using a raw data, hand flown, unfamiliar, non-precision IAP to minimums at a special airport (MGGT?) for both 757 & DC9 crews. As might be expected, while nearly all of the DC9 approaches resulted in a landing on the first attempt, a surprisingly high number of the 75 crews required another after going missed at some point. When Al Ueltschi traded his white cap at PAA for climbing the stairs to begin work at a characteristically Spartan hangar desk, making FlightSafety his legacy, he well understood the value in accurately & reliably prioritizing fundamentals of aircraft operations. Saved a lot of lives in the effort.
Several events where experienced crews did not recognize they have stalled. Look at AA 903, believe 1999, and also the C-5 crew into Diego Garcia. In both cases they did not recognize they were stalling until investigators told them later (although one member of the crew did recognize it in DG the aircraft commander still did not until they told him later as I recall).