View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 05:55 PM
DashAviator
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by misterpretzel View Post
Mind expanding for a newbie? All I've gathered so far is that sometimes there are 6 leg days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
I apologize for the delay in answering your question - have been out flying for the last couple of days. The average leg length in the Dash is just over one hour, with lots of short hops (i.e., Seattle to Bellingham, Portland - Eugene, Boise - Lewiston). It's pretty common to fly your tail off and only get 4 or 5 block hours in a 12-hour duty day.

You'll hear a lot of horror stories about the dreaded "six leg day", but the suck factor depends a lot on the weather, your crew, and how many times your captain has to call Maintenance Control. Some six-leg days are easy. Other days, you'll time out by leg 4.

I actually enjoy flying the Q400, but it's a well-known fact that I have low standards.

Just for fun, I pulled up some of the E175 trips on eCrew. As expected, many of the jet trips are not very efficient. This is mostly due to the fact that we don't have enough jets to build a complete route system. There's also a lot of training going on. The trips should get better after we get some additional E175s and more pilots and flight attendants are trained in the airplane.

I did notice, on average, that our Q400 crews fly about twice as many legs as the jet crews for about the same credit. For example, consider a 3-day trip that comes in at 12.5 credit. This would be about 6 legs in the jet and 12 in the Q400. This is a hypothetical example, but illustrates the general trend.